Monday, May 2, 2011

Say Something Funny.

Something funny. Nah, just kidding. Two weekends ago I took a comedy class. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "But Amy, you're so naturally fumny, why do you possibly need to take a class on the subject of comedy?"


Well, after reading Tina Fey's book Bossypants I was deeply moved and inspired and I took a few moments to re-examine what I wanted in my life and how I could get there. Around this time, I was also distracted by a copy of "The Onion" on the kitchen table and I saw that Philly has an Improv Theater.

PHIT the Shit!

I checked out the advertised group online and low and behold they not only had classes but one of the classes coming up was going to be taught by current Saturday Night Live writer, Christine Nangle. The site said April 30th to May 1st...

"That's this weekend and it's in a few days." I thought. "...and it's $200. Hmmm..." I reasoned, "Well, I still haven't asked for anything for graduation...maybe this could be my present."

Long story short, my dad very kindly paid for the class and the class was amazing!

Something Christine Nangle wrote and starred in. 

There were seven other people taking the class plus the writer/teacher. For class I had to have a few things written. Over a few days I whipped something up based on the Asch Experiments. It wasn't the funniest thing ever written but was amazed that I even finished it. Other people's stuff was great too but my favorite thing about the class was being able to ask Christine questions afterwards. Her answers gave me hope that there is security in working hard.  I think I learned from her that eventually things will work out. It may take longer than you want or expect and it may happen in a way you never predict but it will happen.  Or at least, I hope that is what I learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment