Monday, October 10, 2011

Road Trip -- Part II

Continued from Part I


In the morning, I ate the couscous.  The night before, there had been so much to eat that I didn't try any couscous.  As I said in my previous post, it was amazing.  Then Jason, Mike, and I went to a diner for breakfast.  Good thing I was already full from couscous because there was nothing vegan there.  Diners generally aren't vegan-friendly.

Mike showed us a few more places, including a gift shop.  We heard our first Boston accent of the trip from one of the storekeepers.  Jason bought something for his mom.

Then, we went back to the house, said our goodbyes, and punched Boston into the GPS.  Jason noted, "It says that Salem is only 40 minutes away.  Wanna go?"
"Yeah!  That sounds fun!"
So to Salem we went.


Our first stop in Salem was at The Salem Witch Museum.  We didn't have much time (Jake wanted to be picked up in about an hour) and it cost money, which we had little of, so we just poked around the gift shop.  I thought having a gift shop in a museum such as this was tasteless.  Like, "A bunch of innocent people got killed here years ago.  Here, buy a $9 plastic spider pin."  At first glance, all of the gift shop items were tacky as the spider pin I first laid eyes on and I was fine with leaving after a few minutes.


Jason and I crossed the street to look at the park.  I tried to do cartwheels in the grass.  I remember doing cartwheels when I was little.  Apparently, I can't do them anymore.  I can't get/stay vertical enough.  I end up just going halfway up and then more or less, sitting down.  I think I may have put my hand in very old animal poo during one attempt.  I tried to wipe it on Jason but he ran away.  No, he didn't actually ran away.  I think he threatened to punch me in the face though.  

After the park, we went into a free museum that was just about the general history of Salem.  About how the town started, what kind of trading happened there, and there was a little information about the witch trials.


The last thing we did before leaving Salem was walk through a mall that had a Psychic Festival going on.  We walked through and observed people getting the fortunes read with cards and palms.  It was interesting.  Next, we walked through a small movie theater in the mall.  I think it's neat to see movie theaters in other places because we get so use to going to the same ones here.  It's cool to see what theaters other people visit.


Once back in the car, we punched Boston into the GPS again, and went to pick up our friend.  We picked up Jake and soon parked the car on a bridge.  We walked around a harbor, read informative plagues about Boston's history, and parroted lines from Boston-centric movies.




By 3 o'clock, we were hungry.  We ate at TGI-Fridays-type place and went home.


The drive back was uneventful until we got serious about the jams.  Jake and Jason surprised and impressed me with the knowledge of heavy, gangster rap.  It was something to hear some of the whitest people I know, know every word of a serious rap album.  After feeling their fill of rap, they gave me the iPod and I put on Weezer.  We rocked out.  And soon, we were home.   

No comments:

Post a Comment