Monday, October 31, 2011

Dear Antsy*,

*A slightly modified letter to a friend.  Names have been changed to protect the players' privates. 


I'm writing to you about Rocky Horror today because I haven't yet.

I've been fairly busy lately and when the week of Rocky Horror rolled around I realized I hadn't thought of what I would wear or who I would be.  I glanced through my clothes, found a white skirt, and decided I would be Janet.  In the past, I never considered Janet because of our many differences but when I think about how being Frank-N-Furter, Brad, and Columbia made more sense to me, I realized that Janet's not any further of a stretch.


The Friday of Rocky Horror, I brought part of my costume to work and bought the other parts during my break.  After work, I went to my friend's house to bunnys-sit her three rabbits while she was away.  This means giving them fresh veggies, hay, water, pellets, and tell them they are cute.


After that, I went to South Street where I had a ukulele gig.  I played for Dumpster Divers, a collective group of artists who have a gallery on South Street and an event on the third Friday of every month.  The first time I played for them in September.  It's a pretty sweet deal.  Playing inside for a change is always nice.


After this, I used their bathroom to get dressed.  I wore my coat over my new bra and was soon picked up by Jamal* and Harley*.  The ride up was uneventful.  When we got to East Falls, 40 minutes later, I had to use the bathroom and although the theater wasn't letting Rocky Horror people in yet, on account of a movie wrapping up, they let me use their bathroom.  The theater was very old and very beautiful.  One screen, neat carpets and wallpaper, and all decked out for Halloween.


When I went outside, I was going to take my coat off to show off my costume (i.e. boobs) but there was a gentleman doing the same thing, trying to take off his pants to model his Rocky Horror shorts and the cops were in the process of arresting him.


The cops objected to Rocky's attire based on "There are families living across the street, sir!"  Truthfully, it's a bunch of crap to show Rocky Horror and then arrest people for indecent exposure.  Really, I think that because East Falls is such a small town and Occupy is all other the news, I think the cops are bored and jealous out of their minds and wanted to make the best of what they had.


So, I didn't take my coat off.  Not yet.  But I did entertain the line with Rocky Horror music ukulele style.  I can play Science Fiction/Double Feature, There's a Light (Over at the Frankenstein Place), Time Warp, and Touch-a-Touch-a-Touch-me.  Everyone liked it but I only got one tip from another Janet (who was way sexy!).  Oh well.


When I was done playing my four songs, I waited in line with Jamal and Harley.  They were behind a pair of girls, maybe 14 or 15-years-old, and they were sheltered to say the least.


These girls were impressed that we had come from the city to be here.  Talking to them was weird and awkward.  The girls were amazed that I was only wearing a bra under my coat and I was amazed they were amazed given this was Rocky Horror.  They had never seen the movie before and I'm curious about how they decided to come to a showing.

Once we were let in, I took off my coat and while the pair of young East Fallians looked uncomfortable, Harley said, "Nice boobs."  Which only made the girls more uncomfortable which pleased Harley.


It took a long time for the show to get started.  There were rules.  No throwing anything on account of the theater taking millions to restore (it was a historic landmark according the owner).  There were games, intros, an old Looney  Tunes cartoon, a few other odds and ends.  Then, the movie finally fucking started!


For this version of the show, the movie was playing on the screen while actors mimed up front.  It was interesting.  My favorite is still a live show but I was still satisfied.  I didn't care for the excessive shout-outs in terms of audience participation.  I prefer when people pick and choose the funniest lines as opposed to shouting out every 3-seconds.  But whatever.  I love seeing Tim Curry on the big screen!  He is a beautiful, beautiful man.


Also, I forgot to tell you that we met Jerry* there.  So it was good to see him.  He bought a car!  We got to see it from a distance but we were too lazy/tired to walk all the way to where Jerry was parked.

On the way back home, I played the ukulele despite Jamal's* protests.  All around, it was a good night.


Love,
Amy

P.S. A got a few letters from you

No comments:

Post a Comment