Monday, June 20, 2011

Lost Glasses


Two Wednesdays ago, I went out to do my wash.  I brought a book and sat reading and drinking my ginger ale I had bought across the street.


Wash is a pain in the sense that, the times that I have money and time to do wash, hardly ever meet.  As a result of this, my wash piles up terribly.  More than many things, I wish I had a washer and dryer.  Or at least a washer and a place to hang my clothes. 


The place I do wash is a 15-20 minute walk which is especially annoying when wash has piled up to the extent that mine always does.  I often do my wash after work when I'm already halfway there.  It's hard to say what I prefer more.  Not having to bother with three-hour chores on my day off or adding three-hours to an 8-1/2 hour work shift. 

So two weeks ago, I was doing my wash and as I pulled my finally finished clothes out of the dryer, it began to rain.  Correction.  It began to pour. 



I wasn't going to wait around.  I had songs to practice on my ukulele before it got too late! 

So I put my glasses in my laundry bin and started on my way home.  Once I was home, I could not find my glasses.

I thought that my glasses were safe.  My wash was not overflowing from the bin.  I guess my glasses must have fallen out through one on the spaces.  I didn't think that the spaces were big enough for my glasses to fall out but I've been wrong before and I was wrong again now. 

I walked back and forth a few times trying to find them.  It's annoying to have to look for missing glasses in the dark because you can't see!  I didn't find them.  I am now wearing my contacts. 

Prior to this loss, I wore my contacts about three times.  I didn't really care for them.  I've now learned that there is a right way for the contact to go in and wrong way.  Between taking the contact out (which is a bitch) and putting the contact in the solution container, they must sometimes get flipped around.  It's really uncomfortable if the contact is in wrong and it's not always noticeable right away. 

Since losing my glasses, I've gotten comments and compliments.  When people hear the gloom in my voice from my missing glasses, they insure me that I look better without them, which is sweet of them. 

I had those glasses for six years.  They were very me.  I saw lots of amazing things with them.  Shooting stars.  Birthday parties.  Good and bad movies.  Conan O'Brien.  Tina Fey. 



In the end though, my glasses were just a thing.  Perhaps they have made it to a river and are helping a poor, farsighted fish see.

No comments:

Post a Comment