Monday, November 22, 2010

Dear Mr. President Obama,

I understand that our country is facing problems and it is my belief that you are trying you best to fix things.  Regardless of demanding critics, I do not blame you for all of our countries problems.  They are our problems and I think that we should all make contributions to fix them.  It is my hope that we all remain faithful that things will get better, that we think of ways to make improvements, and we all work hard to move towards these practical solutions. 

I am 23-years-old, and like many people age I am experiencing problems finding a job that is worth my college education which I must now pay back.  Also like many people my age, my ideas may go unnoticed but that doesn't mean that my ideas have to go completely unseen.

As a recent college graduate, the only jobs easily available to me are part-time jobs with limited hours, low pay, and zero benefits.  I would like to respectfully suggest that you offer businesses tax incentives to hire more people full-time.  It appears that without such encouragement, businesses hire many compromised people.  As a result, only the businesses' needs are being met and the workers are exploited.  I feel that it is better to hire a few people who can make a living than to hire several struggling people and force them to keep struggling.  I think that many of the problems the country faces could be fixed if more businesses shared my feelings.

Another idea I have is you could require colleges to meet a higher percentage of employment rate in the recently graduated alumni.  I have found that my college degree left me less than prepared for the "real world" and worse than that, my college has been useless in helping me to find a job.  With the right motivation, I believe colleges will work harder to make sure students are prepared as possible to face the work force.  As things are currently, colleges adhere to the "take the money and run" policy.   

I am proud to be part of a generation that brought you to office and I am proud to call you my president.  I am not proud however, to be working in dead-end retail jobs and having to borrow money to pay my bills.  I'm willing to work hard if businesses would give me that chance.  While I am not an expert or an official advisor, I am a hopeful American and I hope you will consider my suggestions.  

Sincerely,
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment