Monday, July 25, 2011

Job Hates


Things I Will Not Miss About My Dumb Ass Job, A List
  • Inconvenient hours.  -- I almost always work 2:00pm - 10:30pm and always some days of the weekends.  I could do this if I cared about the job but when I'm missing social happenings and gatherings and more importantly, vegan activism, I get down and annoyed.  This brings me the next item.
  • I don't give a shit.  -- I could care less.  I don't care that chips went up in price or the bread isn't ringing up or that there's a hole in cookie packaging.  I don't care that the count room is a mess or we're out of newspapers again.  I can't be bothered with pointless jobs which is why I need to find something that means something to me and/or a job that allows me the financial freedom to do something meaningful when I'm not working.  This leads me to...

  • Terrible Pay. -- Can you imagine living off of $300 a week for 45 hours of work?  I don't have to imagine!  Let me tell you, it sucks.  Especially when monthly student loans are $300.  And there's a lot more I have to pay for and little else that I actually can.
  • Having to wear a smock.  -- There are a lot of reasons why I have recently become much less excited about Natalie Portman but one of these reasons is in a group interview where she said on her days off she was always excited to wear what she wants all day long.  Shut the hell up!  I wear an ugly, polyester blue smock two-sizes too big and you don't hear me complaining.*  Also, see the bullet above.  You get paid millions, jerk-face!  I get paid $9 an hour before taxes!
  • Having to ask to use the bathroom.  -- It's degrading and weird and I don't like it.
  • Standing for at least 8 hours.  -- Not much fun.  
  • Working with people like me. -- Who, like me, only work here because they really need to.  It makes me sad because everyone I work with is really nice and they all work really hard.  They tie groceries on to little old ladies' carts, they push PIN numbers in the credit card machine for disabled customers, they help people find things, all at the drop of the hat.  It makes me sad to see them all working with me knowing that they hate this job just as much, possibly more than I do, but also knowing that they are seemingly stuck.  I wish I could help them.  
  • How Little "The Man" cares. -- If he wanted to, he could help but he doesn't want to so he doesn't.  Lame. 
  • The Rules. -- A cashier's job consists of ringing up groceries, bagging the groceries, and being kind and friendly to the customer in the process.  So what if there are no customers?  What is a cashier suppose to do?  I'll tell you what they're not suppose to do.  They are not suppose to read, write, or draw.  Making double bags is the preferred way to occupy one's time.  Once your station is full of made bags, make yourself useful and just stand there.  Just make sure you stand up straight because if you slouch someone may violently shove a shopping basket in your general direction.  Seriously, this has happened.  
  • Lack of Excitement. -- So boring!   
  • Musical Playlist. -- The company sends us a new CD to upload to the hard drive and this music plays for about a month until we get a new CD.  Some of the songs I like.  Others I don't and I swear, these songs play the most. 
  • Profiting from the exploitation of others. -- A grocery store is no place for a vegan. 





* You're reading my complaints.  Totally different.

No comments:

Post a Comment