Monday, April 11, 2011

Down the Hall and On Your Right

As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I moved so I could accommodate my foster rabbits and foster cat.  I use to live in the room right next to the bathroom but I have now moved down the hall and the rabbits are in the small room on the right by my bedroom.  I hope they like it there.  We spend less time together and I feel guilty about that, but they do have more space.


Moving was a small and entertaining feat.  Due to my work schedule and my old and new roommates' moving schedule, I had one night to move my things down the hall and clean for the new person.  Not so bad, right?  It's only down the hall after all.



It was very cold that night.  Earlier that day, I had moved the rabbits into their new space.  They seemed fine, but as the night progressed, it seemed colder, so I set the rabbits up with a heater.  Despite the fact that I was moving all my things, I was still cold.  By this time (around 1am I suspect), I had moved my small dresser, my bulky, two-part desk, my closet contraption, and some other odds and ends.  So, I moved my heater next (I was using my old roommate's for the rabbits) and plugged it in.

"Ahhh -- heat!" I thought.

I wasn't sure if the rabbits were cold or if they would even enjoy a heater so I checked on them.  I walked into the room to find the both rabbits settled right in front of the heat with their eyes just slightly closed.

"Ahhh -- heat!" They thought.

This warmed my heart though I felt a bit bad knowing that they must have been cold too.  I moved a few more things and by this point, I only had the things left that I least wanted to do.  My bed and my crap.  By crap I mean, all the loose things on the bed, dresser, and desk tops, which I could do without but continually refuse to.  There was a lot of this.  And then the power went out.


The way the house is set up, the power in the four rooms (my old room, my two new rooms, and the bathroom) are on one power circuit.  Because I had two heaters plugged in, I had blown a fuse.  It was late.  My housemate lives on the first floor where the fuse boxes are and he would definitely be asleep.  Getting to the fuse box would have to mean waking him up and I didn't think it was worth it.  My other roommate was asleep on the same floor as me on the opposite end of the hall, so I had to proceed quietly and in the dark.


I collected the three house flashlights and then thought that a candle would be nice.  I remembered I had one that looked like a piece of sushi.  I set the flashlights up around my new room along with my candle.  I thought about how in a summer filmmaking class we had these super cool reflectors which made a little light more bright and more directed.  I wished I had one.  Then my mind went to a mirror on my kitchen table my roommates and I had used for a prank on another roommate.

"That will do!" I thought.

So I pointed the brightest flashlight at the mirror, and there was light!  Impressed by my genius, I moved on (literally!).  It was 45-minutes until I was finished moving my crap.  Now I had to move the bed.  Quietly.


When I first moved in, my old roommate said I could use her spare mattress.  If she hadn't offered, I probably would have just slept on the floor.  Christmas came, and my boyfriend gave me bed frame which came with a second mattress.  This matting is held up by wooden planks.  Wooden planks are loud.

As I dissembled the bed, I dreaded the necessary apology I was going to have give my roommate.  I did apologize in the morning but he claimed he didn't hear anything.  I don't see how that's possible, but I hope it's true.


Once the bed was setup, all I had to do was put the crap where it belonged.  Oh, and I had to clean.  I did both of these things.  I found the whole situation pretty amusing.  Moving and cleaning in the dark is ridiculous!  Sweeping was my last task of the night/morning.  It wasn't quite as dark now because the sky was beginning to get blue.  I turned off the flashlights and blew out my candle.  I set my alarm for a few hours later because I still had to vacuum (which would mean fiddling with the fuse box).  As I approached my bed, I got excited by the view from my windows!  The view is pretty ugly by window view standards but to someone who lived with a single window looking out at the back of a building, my new view was pretty thrilling.  

I finally laid down in my bed.  And as I did, Meemers, my foster cat, marveled at my (now our) open bedroom door.  I wrote about this here but you can read the relevant bit below:

For the first week of her stay here, I couldn't move into the rooms yet so she had to sleep by herself (I didn't want her to eat the rabbits in my sleep).  She was heartbreakingly upset by this.  Once I moved, she slowly, but excitedly walked on the bed like, "Really?  I get to sleep with you tonight?!"  Once she got over her too-good-to-be-true-feeling, Meems (I call her that sometimes) started to purr and everything was right with the world.  She would occasionally lick my chin, which of course made me burst out laughing.  Since this time, Meemers has taken to sleeping in the dip of my waist with her head around my rib area and her butt on mine.  It's funny to say the least.  It's a bit weird to say a bit more.  I don't mind though.      

And now, here we are.  
I'm lying on my stomach and Meemers is on my butt.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment