Monday, September 27, 2010

Send Me On My Way

After looking for jobs for months, I suddenly have three solid possibilities open to me.  Although I don't want to count my chickens before they hatch, I have hope that one of these things will work out.

About a week ago, a friend of mine told me that a paper they work at has positions open for paid internships.  Although I don't have an English or Journalism degree, I have always loved writing, particularly now that I am writing more days than not.  In an effort to counter the fact that I don't have a more applicable degree, I started to write three sample articles.  One article on wedding planning in our current financial climate, one article about veganism, and one article on a foreign exchange program my friend is in.

I setup interviews via Facebook with friends of mine who were engaged or were married.  It's a bit crazy to me that people my age are getting married.  Am I at that age already?  During the interview process, I was humbled by how much detail my friends went into.  It was more than I could have asked for and at the same time what I asked.  In doing this I also realized, I could do this for a living.  I find it interesting, creative, and fun.  Everything something should be that takes up most of a person's time.

After working on the wedding article, I got to work on the foreign exchange article.  My friend from grade school is currently in Korea teaching young kids English.  I asked her about it and in doing so, I got interested.  So I went to the website and signed up.  Soon after, I got an email and then a phone call.  Going to Korea to teach for a year seems like a far away possibility that is quickly becoming more likely.  I've thought from time to time that I would like to teach.  I'd like to help people on an everyday basis.  With teaching I could do that.  While I am hesitant to go for a whole year, if the opportunity presented itself I couldn't turn it down.  I would go in a heart beat and I know that I would love it!

While emails and phone calls were being exchanged about this Korean teaching program, I got a response to a job inquiry I sent out almost three weeks ago.  This job was for a part-time position at a New York Hostel.  The job was to check people in and out, make beds, and other minor chores.  After the hostel owner emailed me, I called the number he provided.  We talked about what type of person he was looking for and I brought up my idea which was working part-time in exchange for place to stay.  The man thought it over and felt that this could be arranged.  We've gotten in touch since then and found that we have a similar diet (he's on a mostly raw diet and I'm vegan).  If this job worked out the way that I am hoping, I will work at the hostel 20-hours a week and be able to spend the rest of my time looking for a full-time job.  This could be great for me!

Things seem to be looking up.  It's funny that all these gigs presented themselves at the same time but I can't say I'm surprised.  And I'm embarrassed to say that after all this, I know that I will miss things that I have taken for granted.  C'est La Vie. 



P.S.  Blogger changed their picture uploader and I haven't been able to add images since.  Boo!       

No comments:

Post a Comment