Monday, February 28, 2011

Promotion Mojo

About a month ago, one of my supervisors from work asked me how I would feel about making a little more money doing what he and the other supervisors do.  I said I was interested.  Truthfully, the way the position was presented to me, it seemed so tentative, I didn't think it would actually happen.

Much to my surprise, about a week later, the promotion was brought up again, this time with mention of training days.  As my boss asked me if I thought I could do the position I felt...short.  That is the most describable feeling that comes to mind.   


I've never seen myself as any kind of leader and I was surprised when my supervisor brought the opening up to me.  I see some of my other co-workers as more model employees than me.  I'm not sure why I was considered before them but I am somewhat flattered, kind of confused, and more than a little guilty.  I have even more guilt over the fact that my co-workers are taking a lot of time to train me and even with an eventual dollar raise, the pay will not be keep me for any enduring amount of time.  But, perhaps with the way my ongoing job search has been going, maybe I won't have to be too guilty.

This has nothing to do with what I'm saying but it looks cool and it came up when I Googled "supervisor".
Training hasn't been easy.  I'm a slow learner, I'm not good with numbers, I'm not observant, and I have problems staying focused.  After the first few days I was convinced that I wouldn't actually get the promotion on account of my seeming incompetence.  The fact that I had two late days didn't help either.

Thankfully, things got better.  Some how I picked up on things that seemed like I never would and as with any new skill I learn, I'm in awe of my brain, both from a personal and a scientific standpoint.  Are other people continually amazed at the human brain's abilities?


Tonight, I was on a practice run of sorts.  For about two hours I worked as a supervisor as though I would if I were on my own.  I made mistakes, yes, but my confidence isn't shaken by them.  I feel pretty good about my progress in fact.  So, because I don't say it nearly enough (and because I deserve it!), "Good job, Me!"

   

No comments:

Post a Comment